Saturday, March 21, 2009

Sindayanna

Earlier this week Lisa & I made a stop on our way from the Northern Galilee to Jeruselum, in a little industrial town called Kufr Kana. There we met and talked with Hadas Lahav, a cofounder of a group that's working at empowering Arab women through craft work. The warehouse we visited was where the olive oil soap they make is packaged and shipped.

I found Hadas' efforts at enfranchising the Arab minority to be really inspiring. Lisa and I have had many conversations this week on the ongoing Israeli-Palestinian conflict, as we get glimpses of what life is like here for both Israelis and Palestinians. It's a really sad state of affairs (duh), but I have to say visiting Israel has made me wonder even more if it is even possible for it to be resolved. Everyone is right and everyone is wrong and no one wants to admit any fault. Discussions immediately dissolve into percieved criticisms and defensive stances.

I think what Hadas is doing, through fair-trade, is a very insidious way of attacking a problem indirectly enough to avoid criticism. Go buy her soap! It smells really nice!

http://www.sindyanna.com/

1 comment:

  1. I want pictures!

    This is great...keep the blogs coming.

    ReplyDelete